Monday, September 6, 2010

energy; where have thou gone?

Oh how the excitement to blog dissipates as days get busier!  Such a shame, too.  Since (at least in this house) busier days usually come with interesting new stories to tell or questions to ponder.  Let's see if I can remember anything of interest from the last few days....

*Elijah has been remembering the fun of going to the Dining Commons here on campus (it has been closed during the summer) and has been anxious to go where the "man in the white hat makes us food."  We finally went on Sunday and the whole way there he said to everyone who passed by us: "we're going to the dining commons where the man in the white hat will make me food!!!"  Of course, most people had no idea that he was indeed actually yelling something at them--so they all just walked on by the loud unintelligible toddler.  Elijah didn't seem to mind.  He just tried the next person...and the next person...and the next.... until we finally got there.  At last he could enjoy his pasta and corn and chocolate milk (and chocolate ice cream!) that he had wanted for so long.

*There were a lot of door-knockers this past weekend, searching for any listening ear to hear of the great things their religion has done for them.  It does make me wonder--does this actually make an impact in the year 2010?  Did it EVER?  As someone interested in culture, it made me want to go around the neighborhood myself, surveying people to see what kind of impact a door-to-door religious salesman (if I may put it that way) would have on them.  Now, I'm not knocking (get the joke?) the spreading of your faith.  I think it's a crucial part of any religion--sharing it with the world.  But, does knocking on doors really get you anywhere?

*And again with the door knockers, to be honest, I saw the first bunch and was like, "eek! gads!  Mormons!  HIDE!!"  Seriously, I was unbelievably close to trying to get Elijah to stay super still so that they wouldn't know anyone was home.  The only reason I didn't was, well, because I knew Elijah wouldn't actually listen.  (oh, the disadvantages of having toddlers!)  Turns out the first group were just Baptists from down the road, but the second bunch were Jehovah's Witnesses.  I was nursing the baby at the time and couldn't help but laugh at the conversation I heard Jon having outside.  Something like this,

Jehovah's Witnesses: "blah blah blah, faith and assurance."
DH: "yes, we're very sure of what we believe..."
JH: "ahh, blah blah blah Bible."
DH: "Oh, YES.  We very much believe the Bible.  In fact, we'll soon be having a Bible study here in our home.  You're more than welcome to join us."
JH: "OH!  GREAT!  We're always so excited when we hear about people wanting to learn more about the Bible--here's some great information to look through as you read."
<<Insert me inside wanting desperately to yell, "UM, no thanks!!  We don't want any of your crazy books here!!!  But of course, my husband was more loving...>>
DH: "Oh, no thanks.  We don't need that."

But seriously, did they think they were going to change our ideas?  Did they think if we already believed what that Christian Bible said that we'd actually be interested in taking their pamphlets that conflict with what we already hold to be true??  Are they just crazy, or does that stuff really happen???





Well, now that I've bored you (or, worse, made you angry), I will go to bed.  Hopefully I can write a post soon that will be somewhat interesting!  (Don't hold your breath waiting, though!)

1 comment:

  1. I thought that was interesting, because I've often wondered the same thing. I think the real door-knocker competition should be for the non-believers who are having a desperate moment and just so happen to be ready to listen to someone. So, as soon as someone starts mentioning their own religious beliefs, the door knockers should flee the scene and start looking for someone with a blank slate.

    ReplyDelete