Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Easter is coming to our house

I know, you're thinking "Easter?? It's the end of summer and you're talking about EASTER?"  I am.  Only because Elijah is.

My son has a great memory.  He remembers that when we went to a friends' house to celebrate Easter this year there were jelly beans at the table.  He also remembers that someone dropped a ceramic bunny off at our door that was carrying some jelly beans inside of it--all for him.

Elijah loved the jelly beans. And he still remembers how wonderful they taste.  And so, he's been asking for jelly beans lately.  To this I reply, "Well, we can maybe get some more jelly beans for Easter."  Today we had a longer conversation about it, and I couldn't help but want to share this with all of you...

Elijah: Can I have jelly beans?

Me: Yes, maybe you can have jelly beans when Easter comes.

Elijah: Oh. What's Easter?

Me: Easter is a Holiday that we celebrate.  We remember that Jesus died and rose again; he conquered the grave.  He paid the debt for our sin.

Elijah: Oh.  Easter is a Holiday?

Me: Yes, Easter is a Holiday.

Elijah: Am I a Holiday?

Me: No, you are not a Holiday.  A Holiday is not a person.

Elijah: When Easter comes to my house, I will give him jelly beans.

3 comments:

  1. Love it. Selah last week randomly said "will we be in Boston for egg day this year?". I said "Um - egg day, what is that?". She said "the day when you get chocolate eggs remember mummy". "Oh - Easter". On the plus side she has a great memory - we haven't mentioned Easter since it happened last. On the minus side, she thinks it is "Egg day" - so much for any Christian influence...
    PS - this is Emma not Huck - no idea why it says I am Huckleberry (wish I could understand computers...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hysterical Li! :-)

    ReplyDelete