Wednesday, September 15, 2010

blank slate?

It's a good thing I don't believe in tabula rasa..... you remember the concept from high school, right?  "Blank Slate"...John Locke?  Ring a bell??  Basically it's the idea that people are born as a blank slate and all of their attitudes and perceptions of the world come from how we nurture them--as though we are writing the language of their life on them.

Anyway, now that I've reminded you of what it means, I will say again that it's a good thing I don't believe in it.  Because if I did, boy would I be in trouble.  As a "stay at home mom" (not that I stay at home all day by any means!!!), I would surely be the cause of any problematic issues that my son has--seeing as how I am the foremost authority and teacher in his life.

If this were the case, then here are some things you could learn about me from my toddler:

1) I am extremely covetous.
2) I whine.  A LOT.
3) I am not always good at sharing.
4) When I'm not in a good mood, I push people around.


Oh dear.... this doesn't bode well.  I think these things actually could be said about me.  :-P
This is a problem.  Hmmm.... how about some things that definitely can't be said about me:

1) I definitely don't sit on top of other people just to see how they react.
2) I don't squeeze my food between my fingers and then wipe it all over the table.
3) I don't lift my shirt up and exhibit my belly button every time I get really excited.
4) I don't pick up lint off the floor and roll it in between my fingers for hours. (Yes, my child has OCD.)


Phew!  Boy, I had myself scared there for a moment.
Tonight, Elijah refused to go to bed--tears streaming down his crinkled face--because he wanted his sister's blanket with him in bed.  Of course, since she's only six months old, she really wouldn't have known the difference.  But, on principle, we told him he couldn't have it.  That certainly wasn't the answer he wanted to hear!  I am glad to blame the Fall, and not me, for his extreme covetousness.  ;-P  (I do always love to point blame.)

1 comment:

  1. you have to know I was laughing my sox off reading this.

    ReplyDelete