Saturday, September 18, 2010

"chicken spackets"

Tonight I made something that my husband coined "chicken spackets" (SPA-kets) and I figured I'd share it with all of you!  I took my normal recipe for the inside of spanakopita, added boiled chicken, and put them into pastry puffs.  Yum!  I've decided that I could put anything into a "pocket" and my toddler would love it.  We called them "spackets" because that was a combination of spanakopita and pocket--seemed to fit!

Here's what I did:

1) boil chicken on the stove until tender.

2) mix together 1 egg, 1 10oz. package thawed spinach, 1/2c. feta cheese, parsley, dill and oregano.

3) tear apart chicken and add to spinach mixture.

4) cut pastry sheet into four squares.  place mixture into pocket and fold into a triangle.  squeeze edges to keep filling inside.

5) bake at 350 degrees--maybe ten minutes??  check on them every five minutes, i'm not sure how long it really took! i was baking muffins at the same time.... :)









That's it right there with some yummy squash. I just cut the squash in half and put it on greased foil in a 400 degree oven.  Half an hour later and it's finished!  You can serve just like that--add salt, pepper and butter, then people can mix it all up in the shell itself.  It's yummy AND easy! :D






1 comment:

  1. Looks like a delish meal to me! I also love my squash that way!! :-) If you want to dress it up, you can add 1 tsp maple syrup in the center before baking along with some raw onion - wonderful flavor & the onions caramelize.

    ReplyDelete