Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pumpkin Rolls

As I've mentioned before, I love pumpkin.  And pumpkin knot rolls don't last long in our house.  I always double the batch and put half in the freezer.  Pull one out any time you'd like, zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds (or more, depending on your microwave), and tada!  Tastes like it just came out of the oven.
I used to buy Challah bread at our local Whole Foods in Cambridge, and these rolls remind me a lot of that Challah bread.  Perfect outside, perfect inside....you can eat it by itself, or with just butter, or with anything you like.  The perfect comfort food.  I paired it last night with a bowl of  Panera Bread broccoli cheddar soup.  It was FANTASTIC!  I'd recommend it. :)  Here's the recipe for the rolls, and I've also included a step-by-step how-to if you want to make them but haven't made any kind of bread before.  They're not hard, really.  And if you look at my pictures, it will make it even easier. Don't be afraid!  These rolls just melt in your mouth.

Pumpkin Knot Rolls

2 pkgs. active dry yeast
1c. warm milk (110-115 degrees)
1/3c. butter, softened
1/2c. sugar
1c. canned pumpkin
3 eggs (2 + 1)
1 1/2tsp. salt
5 1/2-6c. flour
1 T cold water

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk.  Add the butter, sugar, pumpkin, 2 eggs, salt and 3 cups flour.  Beat until smooth.  Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.  Punch dough down.  Turn onto a lightly flour surface; divide in half.  Shape each portion into 12 balls.  Roll each ball into a 10 inch rope; tie into a knot and tuck ends under.  Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.  In a small bowl, beat water and remaining egg.  Brush over rolls.   Bake at 350 degrees for 13-17 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from pans to wire rack.  Yield: 2 dozen.

(In the pictures below, I doubled the recipe.  Because I doubled the recipe, I added the extra flour by hand in the beginning of the kneading process.  If your mixer can handle doing that by itself, start with number 3.)




1 comment:

  1. I have just a cup of pumpkin left and i think the girls will love helping me make these on Saturday- instead of the pumpkin cheesecake I thought about - yumm

    ReplyDelete