Saturday, October 9, 2010

Happy Jack-o-lanterns

My Taste of Home catalog last month  had an idea for fun "jack-o-lanterns" that were made of tissue paper and glass jars.  I thought it was a brilliant idea, but I wanted to wait until I was with my adorable and crafty nieces to try such a project.  (It's always more fun crafting with company!!)

So, today was the day.  It went even better than I anticipated.  I'm encouraging all of you to make some of your own!  The process is fun, and the finished product is fantastic too!

All you need is Mod Podge (or another glue and selant), tissue paper, glass jars and some enthusiasm for the arts! :)  First cover your jar with a good layer of Mod Podge, then put your tissue paper over it, then put another layer of Mod Podge to finish it off.  You can get as detailed and fancy as you like, or keep it simple!  You can add a ribbon on the top for extra embelishment too if you'd like. :)  We added faces to many of ours, which was super fun.  Just put them on top of that outer layer of Mod Podge, and add another layer on top once you've got them in the right places.

Then, after they dry, put a tea candle in them.  Delightful!!  They are beautiful to look at sitting in the windowsill on a quiet evening.

And do realize that this is a project for any age.  I can testify that today there was an almost-60 year old (don't tell her I said that.....!!), a 26 year old, a 6 year old, and two 3 year olds..... all having an absolute blast.  You can do it too!!  For small children, just  put a layer of Mod Podge on the jar, and give them strips of various colors--they decorated them however they want.  It's terrific.  

I will definitely do this again some time.  Too bad we don't need an infinite supply of silly face lanterns!

So, go ahead, make some of your own!!




2 comments:

  1. You need to have a column in a magazine. Possible an entire magazine, and maybe even a TV show.

    ReplyDelete