Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Good Looking"

Elijah asked me tonight to help him find a track from a bulldozer that had fallen off for probably the tenth time.  It was just before bed, pajamas on, sleepy, but awake enough to know he deeply wanted the toy in bed with him--with all its parts attached.

Elijah: Will you help me find the track, mommy?
Me: Well....
Elijah: You are....(struggles here due to sleepiness) good looking....
(Me--can't help but smile at his mistake and wishes he really said what it sounded like he said!)
Elijah (stealing my delight almost as quickly as it came): I mean, you are a good finder, mommy.  A very good finder.  You can find it.

For a moment there I felt a tingling joy--my toddler thinks I'm good looking!  Oh well.  I guess being a good finder will do for now. :)  You can't be good at everything!

***Okay, so when I went to re-write this conversation to post, I couldn't remember exactly what Elijah had said to me, but I knew it made me think "you're good looking".  Today, he did the same thing to my brother, so I now remember exactly what he said.  This is actually how it came out:

Elijah: You are a good looking girl.
<<Emphasis on "looking" of course.  But, that's why he rephrased his comment and said instead that I was a good finder.  He is really so funny!>>



Today he said the same thing to my brother: "You are a good looking guy."  If only he realized what it sounded like he was saying!! :-D  (He's too young to really know what that phrase means, though.)

1 comment: