Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pack Rat vs. Hopeful

I feel like I am trying to organize our house every single day.  In every room I look, there are things that are out of place, or don't really have a place at all.  It makes me want to do a major reorganization.  But then as soon as I start, I realize that it's too big a job for the little amount of time I have.  (Or, too ridiculous an idea, with children who would make a disaster of the attempt.)

And as I look at all these things I would like to organize and find a place for, I sometimes think to myself, "if only you weren't such a pack rat, you wouldn't have so much to reorganize."  I have so many books, scraps of materials, random materials for potential crafts.....  Is it that I am a pack rat with these items, or could it instead be said that I am a hopeful person?  A person who is hopeful that I could one day find time to reread the books I thought worthy enough to keep after college.  A person who is hopeful that some day I could make something beautiful or useful out of the many boxes of scrap material I have.  A person who is hopeful that I will some day have time to craft something interesting out of the various materials I've collected over the years.

Though, I suppose it doesn't really matter to the casual house guest what the reasoning is behind my clutter.  Sadly enough.  If only I could welcome people to my home saying, "Hello!  So glad you're here!  Please note that my house is extremely cluttered because of all the things I'd like to eventually do with the various items scattered within."  Or, I could put a sign in front of the door, "Please excuse the mess.  Wishful thinker lives here."

There are times when I think that a house fire is the only real solution to the whole problem.  Granted, I don't actually want my house to catch on fire--for a plethora of reasons.  It merely seemed like an easy solution to these problems.  It would, however, bring other problems--much larger--and so this is not a solution I would recommend to anyone, myself included.  The reality is, there is no easy fix to this situation.  Unless..... Yes, the only easy fix is that one of those home TV shows comes and does all the organizing for me.  That's about the only good solution I can think of.

2 comments:

  1. lol, a home show eh? or a dumpster that would probably do it (he he). Lib's your awesome, and as for those nay Sayer's well some day you'll realize you don't need them anyway. I love you sis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your perspective -- you must have gotten it from me -- never lose hope - someday you will either find a great use for some of the things, or you will peacefully and happily send them on to another place of possibility

    ReplyDelete