Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fall pancakes

Hello, Fall!  How I love thee.  Let me count the ways....

No, not really.  I'm not going to list the reasons I love Fall.  There are too many to remember at any given time.  But, I definitely love the seasonal produce, not least of which being pumpkins and apples.  I don't buy fresh pumpkins to use in recipes, but I do love the fact that canned pumpkin is readily available.

Last night I made breakfast for dinner and tried out a recipe for pumpkin pancakes.  I changed the recipe to suite my taste and they were absolutely delicious!  I hope you'll make some of your own. :)



First make the yummy sauce:
In a heavy saucepan, cook 1/2c. butter, cubed, on medium heat until golden brown.  Stir occasionally.  Add 1/4c. maple syrup, 1/2tsp. ground cinnamon and 1/4tsp. nutmeg (and 1/2c. toasted pecans if desired).


Remove from heat and set aside while you make the pancakes. :)

Pumpkin Apple pancakes

In a large bowl, combine:
3c. flour
1/4c. packed brown sugar
4 TBS. baking powder
2 tsp. salt

In a medium bowl, whisk together:
4 eggs
2 2/3c. 2% milk
1 can pumpkin
1c. ricotta cheese
1 medium apple, chopped into small pieces

Combine flour mixture and pumpkin mixture, just until mixed.  Add 1/4c. to 1/2c. of water if mixture seems too thick--I needed to do this. (it will rise quite a bit on the skillet, so be warned!)

Drop the batter onto a hot skillet until bubbles form on the top and some begin to pop.  Turn pancakes over, and cook until second side is golden brown.  Serve with maple butter.

They are scrumptious!  And very moist too.  Well worth the extra effort. :D


5 comments:

  1. Sounds delish Li! What is on the plate beside the pancakes. Something that looks red & something that looks like a salad of some sort? Do tell. I think I will try these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I made bacon (the red) and the "salad" was actually an experiment! I made scrambled eggs but added cinnamon, nutmeg and some milk (kind of as though I was making French Toast). I decided that it could have used less of both spices, but in general, it was a great addition to the pumpkin apple pancakes. I figured, why eat regular scrambled eggs when you could make them more Fall-like?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Li, I think that is a great idea!! I was thinking maybe you served some kind of candied apple with it & a potato hash or something! See you are clever! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you steal my idea?? The ones we made were so scrumptious I am not surprised you decided to experiment with a new recipe. Just thinking about how good they were makes my mouth water. Did Jon like them as much as we all did?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, he thought they were delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete