Saturday, November 6, 2010

Surprised by a challenge

Today I was challenged.  So often in my daily routine I avoid things that would pull me out of my comfort zone.  It's not something that I always consciously do.  But, today when faced with a challenge, I realized how much I distance myself from such things.  I'm not talking here about "challenges" like "let's see who can run to the end of the sidewalk first"--I'm talking about something that would actually challenge you.  Something that would stretch you so much that it might even make your hands sweat or your heart rate increase.  Something that would make you writhe inside, so much so that you want to run away and hide.

I experienced that kind of challenge today.  It took me by surprise, actually.  I had no idea, but the thought of sliding down a dark, enclosed, curvy tube, headed straight for 8 feet of water at the bottom, terrifies me.  I hadn't expected to be so scared.  I love slides.  I also love water.  And heights don't bother me all that much--I have skydived 13 times in the past.  Perhaps it was the fact that the slide was enclosed, and upon peering in, all I could see was darkness.  Or the fact that I'd be flying into water at the bottom--with only a nano-seconds warning.

Whatever the reasons were, I was terrified.  But, like being in grade school all over again, I was being pushed to do it.  Just another reminder of why I hated middle school and high school.   So much peer pressure to do things I'd just as well not.  But I couldn't cop out--it's only a water slide, right??  I kept thinking to myself, "no big deal....no big deal...this is really no big deal."  I repeated that over and over in my head, trying to tell my mind it was fine, all the while my heart rate was skyrocketing.  My hands were getting clammy.  I realized that this was the first time in a long time that I was really being challenged.  And I didn't like it.  In fact, the first time, I just walked right down the stairs and refused to do it.  But of course, pleads are hard to ignore.

So, after an extended period of pleading and prodding, I slowly, somewhat begrudgingly, traipsed up the windy stairs to the top of the slide once more.  I had a plan.  It couldn't be more than ten seconds, the whole thing, right?  I could definitely hold my breath that long.  Just close my eyes, hold my nose, and go.  No looking back.  I can do this.

And I did.  I'm not about to tell you it was less scary than I made it out to be.  While I might have made it to the bottom safe and sound, those few seconds winding inside that dark enclosure was scary for sure.  I think I felt the speed of the fall as much as I felt my heart pounding.  And afterwards, I think I needed five minutes just to recuperate.

Now, for some of you, that kind of thing is no big deal--dark slides, landing in water, no biggie.  But for me, it took some guts.  I met that challenge head on and I feel like my character has grown on account of it.  I'm not saying I want a challenge like that every day, but I am thankful for it.  I did it!!  And now, back to life as it was before.....


1 comment: