Friday, November 5, 2010

Prerogatives

We were talking about prerogatives in our house today, if only briefly.  My husband handed me a dirty dish and asked me to put it into the sink.  As I took it from him to do so, I firmly said, "No."  

He mentioned something to me about how I like to say one thing and do another.  I told him that was my prerogative.  To which he replies, "I'm a physicist: [therefore] I don't have to wear matching colors.  You're a woman; [therefore] you don't have to do what you say [you will do]."  

Yes, exactly.

We all live with certain prerogatives, don't we?  The dictionary calls them "exclusive or special rights, powers or privileges."  I'm not sure who ever told me that I could have those special rights, but I do so firmly believe I am entitled to them.

For example, I work a couple of hours a week watching children for parents who are exercising.  We have a big play area for the kids, one area for bigger kids, and another area for babies and infants who aren't yet walking.  The kids aren't supposed to have food while they're there, and yet, my son has a special medical condition that necessitates his eating snacks, somewhat often.  And, as it's my prerogative, I give my child food, much to the chagrin of the other children.  At times, some of the other children will gather around him, telling me things like, "I'm hungry!  I need a snack.... please.... I'm really hungry.... why does HE get one....??"  Not fair.  So not fair.

You might think this is an acceptable circumstance, and maybe it is, but it does make me think a lot about our prerogatives.  Sometimes it's downright funny what we think we are entitled to.  Like Shania Twain's song, "The best thing about being a woman, is the prerogative to have a little fun...."

Most of the prerogatives we live by we probably don't even realize have.  Like when my husband pointed out that because I'm a woman my actions and words don't have to line up.  He was really only joking when he said it, but when I think about it, there is some truth to it.... there is a part of me that feels like I get to be more fickle because I'm a woman.  It's pretty ridiculous. But it's true.

And it's also true that deep down inside, I feel like my husband has an excuse for not knowing how to dress.... he's a physicist.  Isn't that his prerogative...?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment