Monday, November 15, 2010

Goodbye Creative Songs, Hello Distraction

Abby was up a lot last night.  She rarely cries, but last night for some reason, between the hours of 2am and 4am, there was a lot of crying.  Many tears.  And for me, there were many frustrated hand gestures, hoping she'd suddenly realize the time and quietly fall back asleep.  Finally, she was persuaded to sit in her crib with the hallway light on, giving enough glow to her room that she could play with her toys.

Today, I am tired.  Very tired.  And still somewhat sick.  My voice is hoarse, but I keep thinking the more I use it, the more that will go away....  only, that doesn't seem to be working.  Yet.

Sometimes I can start singing a song, just made up from my head, and keep going with it.  Sometimes these songs end up sounding pretty good.  At least, I think so.  Today while I was feeding Abby, and trying to distract myself from Elijah who was causing all sorts of trouble, I starting making up a song.  It turned out to be a pretty good one, and I decided that for once, I wanted to try to make an effort to record it. So, I quickly came to the computer and tried to figure out how to record a video of me singing, so later I could go back to it.  (You know, later, like when I'm not in the middle of feeding one child and ignoring another.)  It seemed like a great idea.  But then, when I finally got the video working, I had lost the song.  And just as I think it might be coming back to me, Elijah runs in--rice cake all over his face.  That's all I needed to lose the song for good.

So, instead of a lyrically and tone-fully creative piece of music, I now had a song that was almost the opposite.  And because the taping of it became somewhat funny to me, I thought I would share it with you.  Please, do be kind.  Singing solo (especially while sick) is not something I usually do in front of lots of people for fear of embarrassment, but I thought it was worth sharing because it made me laugh.  I am sure there are a lot of other mothers out there who can relate to having what seems like a great plan quickly dissolve into nothing more than a silly waste of time.  Oh, the best laid plans of mice and men!!

Here's the link to the video:
singing with preschoolers is so difficult


(Have you had any plans lately that went awry?)

No comments:

Post a Comment