Thursday, January 6, 2011

Healing Eczema

Back in 2008 I read an article about eczema in the New York Times.  It was months after my son developed  eczema on his legs and back.  We had tried a couple of remedies to no good result, and I was ready to just leave it as it was.  It wasn't very severe nor did it seem to bother him much.  But, the article mentioned the idea that a bath of bleach water, highly diluted (it gives the ratios in the article), could be a way to kill the bacteria causing or inflaming the eczema, even the worst cases.  Another article, this time in Time Magazine, came out almost a year later touting the same research.

Now, I am not always the wisest of moms, so at this point, do as I say, not as I did.  While I would recommend talking to your doctor about this, I took matters into my own hands.  I used the prescribed amount of bleach and added it to my sons bath water.  I didn't do this for every one of his baths, but I did it at least once a week.  Quickly, his eczema was gone.  The yucky red patches on his legs and back had completely disappeared.

I was shocked.  I was also elated.  What a simple and inexpensive solution!  I soon felt like an advertisement for bleach baths whenever a conversation turned to the struggle with eczema.  But no one ever seemed to take me seriously....  Am I that unbelievable?  Or is the remedy that unbelievable?  Well, let me tell you straight up that it works.  Believe it.  But, if you're nervous about the idea of using bleach in a bath (either for you or your child), like this woman is, I'd encourage you to take the time to at least educate yourself on the theory and process.  It can't do anything but add to your knowledge at the least.

Now certainly this is not the end-all cure for eczema.  As the article mentions, this is not a cure for eczema itself as much as a cure for the bacteria possibly causing the eczema (or, making it worse).  And, as the anti-bleach-solution mother explains, bleach can be harmful, so you must be cautious.  Use your brains, my dear friends, use your brains.

As we start this new year in hopes that it will be even better than the last, I thought I'd just send you along with a tidbit of information that I've found to be helpful in my life.  So, if you or someone you know is suffering from eczema, consider this simple solution.  Maybe it will bring someone you know a little more joy in 2011.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that E had eczema. I'll have to send this link to my sister and her kids who have it.
    BTW I am a fan of bleach! That's my cleaning solution!

    ReplyDelete