Wednesday, December 1, 2010

5 reasons snow is fantastic!

I'm very excited that it's December.  Why?  Because the chances of snow increase dramatically at this point in the year! At least.... in Indiana.  If I lived in Ecuador, this wouldn't be the case.  But as it is, I've never even set foot in Ecuador.  So the point is moot.

There are those among you who shake your head at me despairingly.  Those of you who wonder how I could even say such a thing.  Those of you who, simply put, do not like the snow.  But my question is this: do you truly hate snow?  Or is it the effect of the snow?  While it may seem difficult to separate the snow from the effect it has on our lives, I would ask you to consider doing just that.... Think for a moment about just snow....

1.  It's white.  There are very few things that we see either falling from the sky or growing up from the ground that are white.  It is a rarity.  White is often considered the color of purity.

2.  It has a unique shape.  Have you ever seen anything quite like a snowflake?  Do you remember ever looking down at your mitten when you were a child, catching that fleeting glimpse of a snowflake's whole form before it began to melt away?  It's breathtaking.

3.  It's light; it blows with the wind.  It almost seems unreal to watch, the way it swirls and sways.  Almost like each snowflake was a little fairy fluttering her wings this way and that.

4.  It's freezing.  Just hear me out on this one.  Think of water--rain--how it falls and then pools.  It collects in puddles and leaves other areas almost untouched.  Snow, because of it's cold nature, can cover the ground more neatly.  When it snows, you can look around and see the whole ground covered in white.  At least, the possibility is there..... sometimes the snow fairies would rather blow in the wind instead.

5.  It glistens.  I mean, seriously; I can't think of any other type of weather event that makes everything look quite so amazing.


See, I told you.  Snow is fantastic.  I know you're nodding your head right now.






2 comments:

  1. Yes! Anyone who doesn't find snow to be one of the most beautiful and magical things in the world has got to be crazy! That's what I say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love snow - I love the way it blankets everything and makes it all equally beautiful. I love the way a few inches of 'something' can bring an entire city to a screetching halt. I am amazed that I have been washed in the blood of Christ and am now WHITER than snow!

    ReplyDelete