Friday, July 8, 2011

Computer Theft

Or at least, that's what it feels like.  Back in the day--that is, back in the time of the academic school year--I had the computer all to myself in the evenings.  The kids would be in bed asleep, my husband would be working on his own laptop on the couch, and I would be happily typing away.  Those were the good ol' days.

Then came summer break.

In the past, I used to long for my husband to work less; he always seemed to be doing so much more than the other professors I knew.  And now that I have my wish, I long for him to be working again in the evenings so that I can have my computer time back.  It's great getting to see him more during the day, but I'm in internal despair in the evenings as I sit on the couch watching him play computer games.  It should be me, sitting there in front of that screen, a mouse click away from writing a blog, checking my email, or browsing the new children's clothing sales....

Suddenly, a lot more is getting done in the evenings.  I find myself trying to fill that computerless space with laundry or dishes.  I supposed the house is all that much better for it.  I can't say the same for my attitude.  Sometimes I sit on the couch, five feet behind him, and glare into the back of his head, wishing I could secretly form thoughts in his mind like, "oh, hmmm, I will stop playing computer games now and let my lovely wife use the computer since she's been busy taking care of kids all day...."  Or, perhaps a compromise, "I think I will go get my laptop from my office so that both my darling wife and I can use a computer simultaneously in the evenings....."

Judging from the results of these attempts, I am clearly not capable of this kind of telepathy.  And so I merely find more chores to do or simply fall asleep on the couch.  The latter is really not that bad, since I'm exhausted anyway.  But I'd really rather be goofing around on the computer than sleeping.

I still have over a month, though, until summer break is over.  In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to get used to my computerless evenings.  I suppose I can spend this time relishing the increased cleanliness of my home.  Besides, by the time I get the computer time back, there will also be another new baby in the house.  Who knows what the state of my computer availability or house cleanliness will be at that point anyway.  All to shambles I presume.

No comments:

Post a Comment