Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cool Treats!


Any woman who has ever given birth knows that pregnancy can be tough.  Any woman who has ever been in her third trimester in the middle of summer knows that the heat doesn't make anything easier.  

And then enters: frozen treats!

Mmmmmm, how a cool treat can change the mood.  I learned with my first pregnancy that there are lots of things that you can freeze including doughnuts, chocolate, and (my absolute favorite) grapes.  A good friend of mine offered up this information to me and I have never forgotten it.  I still love to get grapes in the summer, wash them, dry them, and put them in a bag in the freezer for later.  They are just about the best frozen treat out there.  And perfectly bite size!

But, aside from frozen grapes, there are also popsicles.  And I decided that this year, we'd have fun making some of our own.  We started out with a watermelon, pureed it, and then added a little apple juice.  The apple juice and watermelon separated and created a super cool effect on the pops.  Check out the picture above!  The top orange part is the juice, while the bottom pink is the watermelon.  The process was ridiculously simple and I encourage you all to try!  Make some healthy homemade popsicles this summer--you can enjoy the process as much as the product!!



Step 1: Puree fruit

Step 2: Add anything else you'd like (more fruit, juice, sugar, etc.); blend again if needed.

Step 3: Freeze

Step 4: Eat and enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment