Thursday, February 3, 2011

Warm and Fishy

What?!  Warm and fishy?!  Yep, that's right!  I decided to make some rice bags this week as we buckled down for the "blizzard of the decade" (which didn't really end up being that) to keep warm while the cold wind roared outside.  While I was making my boring rectangle rice bag, Elijah told me he'd like one too--but in the shape of a fish.  I was a little taken aback, since if anything, my son asks for things with wheels.  Never sea creatures.  But hey, I was thrilled with the idea of making a fish.  A fish would be much simpler than a train.

So, in a very short amount of time, with scraps of fabric from other projects and a little know-how, I made two rice bags: one rectangle and one fish.  It occurred to me during the process that one could really make a rice bag into almost any shape she wanted, thus making warm rice bags appealing to any age group.

Your homework is as follows: break out the sewing machine (or, needle and thread if you don't have a sewing machine) and get creative.  You'll be delighted by the style and function of your rice bag and it will definitely make your winter that much more pleasant.

Instructions:

1)  Get creative and find a silhouette of something fun.  Cut your fabric accordingly.  (But realize that when you turn it right-side-out, the corners won't be quite as tight--take this into consideration.  Don't get too detailed!)

2)  Sew right sides of fabric together along edges, leave 1-2 inch opening to fill with rice or beans.  Turn right-side out, being careful not to rip opening.

3) Fill 3/4 full with rice or beans.

4) Close seam by hand.  (I made mine a little fancier by sewing an outer seam around the edges before putting the rice in--still leaving a hole for the rice.  Then, to close the bag, I completed my outer seam.  It gave it a cleaner look.)



No comments:

Post a Comment