Tuesday, February 8, 2011

DELICIOUS!

I have recently decided that trifles are pretty cool.  Sadly, I don't have a trifle bowl.  Thankfully, I have a friend who does.

We had some students over for dinner last weekend and it was requested that I make a banana trifle.  I found a simple recipe online for a caramel banana trifle, but I don't like simple.  Simple is boring.  Here was the basic recipe:

layer of pound cake
layer of vanilla pudding
layer of banana
layer of caramel
layer of cool whip
repeat

Yes, a great beginning.  But I made it even better.  Here was my trifle:

layer of homemade caramel pound cake
layer of french vanilla pudding
layer of bananas
layer of caramel
layer of caramel sprinkles (in this case from Pampered Chef)
layer of cool whip
repeat

Not that different in essence, and yet totally different in taste.  The caramel pound cake and caramel sprinkles make this dessert unbelievably delicious.  So, here is the recipe I used to make the caramel pound cake.  It may take longer than going to the store, but trust me, it's worth it.  You won't regret the time spent.


Caramel Pound Cake
Instead of putting the cake into a tube pan, I separated the batter into two loaf pans and baked it for 3/4 the time.  I used one loaf for the trifle.  You can either wrap and freeze the second, or, make another trifle days later after you've finish the first....since you'll want to keep eating it. :)

Here are the amounts you'll need for the layers to accommodate a trifle bowl:
1 pound cake
2 packages pudding
3 bananas
1 jar caramel sauce (I used about half of mine, but you could definitely use more)
1 large container of cool whip (or two normal size containers)
Tablespoon or 2 of caramel sprinkles



No comments:

Post a Comment