Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Fun Project



My four year old begs almost daily to do a new craft--a new craft that's "different" and more "exciting" than we've ever done before.  This is not only a difficult request, but truthfully becoming an increasingly annoying one.  While my head is swimming with all the things I have to get done, the pressure from a four year old to come up with an amazingly creative craft, is simply irksome.  As much as I try to dissuade him from crafting, he will not have it.

Thankfully, we recently read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Home-Mouse-Elisa-Kleven/dp/1582462771/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344993482&sr=1-2&keywords=a+home+for+mouse

It's an adorable book--both in content and artistry.  My children had me read it again and again until finally it was due back to the library.  In the book, the clumsy elephant creates a beautiful replacement home (since he accidentally ruins the first) for his new friend mouse.  The house in the story was what we might think of as a diorama, made with a box and other small random objects.  Thankfully, this book gave me an easy idea for craft time....

I was so appreciative of the hour or more I got to spend doing the dishes in quiet...while my son tirelessly worked on making this house a home.  We had even made popsicle stick people the day before (another days craft that I had to come up with...), so the house even had inhabitants upon its completion.





So, there it is, a nice new house....  would you want to live there?

2 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! At 3.5, Marlee LOVES when we have a special "project" to do. I'll be gathering supplies for this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Love this : ) Have you ever read The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule? I really like it, and it might be a good resource for you for new craft ideas. Here is a link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Creative-Family-Imagination-Connections/dp/1590304713 , but I just borrowed it from the library ; ) Have fun in your crafting endeavors :)

    ReplyDelete