Wednesday, April 13, 2011

DIY flower clips


I recently got my hair cut at a salon in eastern PA.  Hanging on a rack opposite the sales desk were a variety of hair decorations.  My eyes immediately fell on some hair clips made of large silk flowers with a rhinestone center.  They were mesmerizing.  I took a pink and zebra print one and placed it in my hair.  I loved it!  And even better, it was made with an alligator-like clip so that the jaws actually gripped my hair....  I was definitely going to buy it.  No, wait, how about I get two?

I was thrilled when I got back to my mom's house to show her what I'd gotten.  Over the following days before my trek back to the Midwest, we discussed that I could make them myself.  It would be no big task. And I already love to craft. :)

At this point, I've probably made thirty of them.  Or at least, I have them 3/4 of the way finished.  I couldn't seem to find the alligator clips in any of the numerous stores I tried, so I resorted to buying them online.  So, I'll have to wait a few days to get the backs glued on.... in the meantime, here are some instructions so you can make your own if you'd like!

What you'll need:

*Flowers (can be paper, silk, other--you name it!)
*Rhinestones for center if you like (I'd say at least 18mm or larger)
*Clips--you can use the hair clips they sell at any craft store (or Sally's beauty supply), but if you want the ones with jaws, like I did, you may be on a real goose hunt.  Here's something like what I bought off Amazon)
*Hot glue/glue gun


Assembly:

1)  First take apart the flowers.  You will not need the stems, centers, or plastic dividers (these are sometimes placed between layers in the flower petals).

2) Prepare hot glue gun.  Glue the flower layers together, one by one.  Then, complete the top with a rhinestone.

3)  Glue clip onto back.

That's it; you're done!!  You didn't know it was that easy, did you??  Now, go ahead, make some of your own!  Mix and match the flowers for some fun.  And when you're done, put the flowers in your hair, or on a bag, or even around the house just to add a little fun to a room!  So many options!

Here are some of my creations:





No comments:

Post a Comment